GETTING PUBLISHED FOR FICTION WRITERS

Thursday, June 27, 2013

My Book Is Out!

This post is off topic. I'm not writing about how to get published. Nope, this time I'm writing about the fact that I just did. I'm now published.

Yes, I did it. I self-published. I hit the PUBLISH button on Amazon approximately twenty minutes ago. THE CONSEQUENTIAL ELEMENT is now for sale (or will be by 9:00 am tomorrow morning).

And now I sit here dabbing at the perspiration that has broken out on my upper lip and back of neck. I thought I would be overjoyed... and I am. I thought I would feel elated at the thought of actually completing something that I've spent so much time on... and I am. I thought my heart would soar at the thought of such an amazing accomplishment... and it is. But I honestly never expected to feel so vulnerable.

Why do I feel vulnerable? Because I just opened my soul for the world to see. The book is fiction, true, but it is also a part of who I am. It is my thoughts, visions, feelings, actions, and senses that made the characters who they are. It is my past, present, and future who have made Danielle who she is. There are resemblances, no matter how hard I tried to deny it while writing it... there are resemblances. And anyone who knows me will pick up on them, and anyone who doesn't will try to relate them to me. So, I'm vulnerable. But you know what? I think I'm okay with it.

I invite you in to share a piece of my world. Read THE CONSEQUENTIAL ELEMENT and let me know what you think. There is a hidden message for my readers and down the road (not too far) I'm going to have a drawing for the person who can tell me what that message is. There will be a 100.00 gift card for that lucky person.

If you like it, leave a review. If you don't, drop me an email and let me know what you didn't like. I'd like to know... really.

Get ready, because I'm about to become one of those authors who toots her book wherever and whenever possible. Gotta get the word out, you know? In fact, if any of you would like to help in that area, I'd be forever in your debt.

I leave you with this piece of insight: Don't to give up on your dreams. If your dream is to write, do it. But if you’re going to do it, do it to the best of your ability. Learn the craft and become a professional. Don’t put anything out there in the world with your brand on it unless it reflects on you in the best possible light. If you choose to indie publish, treat it like you would through a traditional process. Have your work copy edited, proofread, and fine-tuned to the best it can be. Be an author, not just a writer. Only then will your dream come true.

Love to all and wish you the best in success and happiness.

Dee Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment