GETTING PUBLISHED FOR FICTION WRITERS

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Marketing Your Novel - What do you know about it?

First, sorry about dropping off the face of the earth. I’ve been so wrapped up in my books that I haven’t had time for anything else. I have one (The Consequential Element) out with an agent, another that I am tweaking up before sending to beta readers, and a third that I have started gathering information to begin writing.  I’ve also been working non-stop on marketing ideas and strategies. And in between all that, I’ve been smacked around by life. She’s a real witch sometimes, don’t you think? I mean, talk about kicking someone when they’re down. It seemed the more crap that happened the more she threw at me. But I showed her. I’m still standing. I’m still living.
I’ve received several emails from readers regarding my subtle disappearance and again, I’m sorry. I had no idea I would be missed by so many. Really warms my heart. J Thank you.
How has everyone been? What are you up to? Has anyone been published while I was away? Anyone secure an agent? Come on – do tell! We’d all love to hear some great news, even if it’s not our own. And what an opportunity to plug your work for free advertising!
Marketing Your Novel - what do you know about it?
As I said, I’ve been working on a marketing plan. I’ve learned a few things that appear to be working for me, some of which may be helpful to you.
First and foremost, figure out your target audience. You should put your greatest effort into this. Without knowing who will buy your books, you’re setting yourself up for failure. Unless you have a ton of money that you can throw around – and waste – you’d be best served in figuring out this all-important point first. I find that many new authors waste a tremendous amount of time barking up the wrong tree. Why would you spend time talking up your romance novel to a known true-blue sci-fi reader? Yet, so many writers do just that. Know who is interested in your book and spend your time and money there.
Build your author platform. Get hooked up with Twitter, a blog, a GOOD website – if not great, Facebook, Goodreads, and any other social media you can think of. I’m not a huge fan of Facebook, but it has proven good enough for me to get a list of about 270 people who have requested and are eagerly awaiting the release of The Consequential Element. Also, for me I’ve found Goodreads to be a great source of readers interested in my writing.
Get out and network. Attend events and pass out business cards, leave a stack business cards in coffee shops, bookstores, etc., prepare a great giveaway (be different!), visit venues that your book is related to, become a guest speaker at a book festival or conference, and don’t forget to network with other authors. Approach local bookstores about carrying your books, setting up signings, and a holding a book launch. Get and give interviews with other authors.
Visit Author Marketing Experts, Inc. for some of the best advice you’ll find. I also read an interesting article on Why Email Marketing Benefits Your Book's Sales. Check it out. And for an abundance of great advice, you have to visit Rachell Gardner's site about marketing your book.
Okay, so I hope you find some great information to help you along the marketing path. Have a great marketing idea? Do you know something that's worked for yourself or someone you know that may be helpful to us here? SHARE!
Until next time, stay safe, happy, and successful.
All my best,
Dee Ann

2 comments:

  1. About a month ago, I signed with the publisher who'd requested a full. That novel will be out in December 2013, and then my next one will be out in December 2014, which means in addition to platform building and marketing I should probably finish writing it. :D

    As for your advice, I think it's spot-on. The key thing seems to be making those GENUINE connections, be it through social media, blogs, or face-to-face. When we stop seeing people as potential customers and instead as real people, I think we make a lot more meaningful connections, and those are the ones that will actually help us rather than just giving us good follower numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ED! Thanks for stopping by again. Great to hear from you. So exciting about your novels coming out! It's what we writers live for. Your absolutely right about makin GENUINE connections. It's a long and tiring process, but it will pay off. You have to get in touch with me in November and we'll do an interview of you and new release! :) All my best to you.

      Delete