GETTING PUBLISHED FOR FICTION WRITERS

Monday, January 14, 2013

Should you become a freelance writer?
I’ve completed my novel The Consequential Element, started querying it, and am working on my second novel. I’ve also started considering something I never thought I would… entering the world of freelance writers. I recently purchased a book on the subject, and have also joined a freelance marketing site and newsletter.
As sad as it is, I’m suffering from something that is quite incurable, really, and it is affecting my work at my day job. My doctor recently diagnosed the disease. It’s called ‘My Day Job’. I suffer from an overwhelming desire to quit it. And I'm told that this disease runs rampant, especially among Americans. She said the only known cure of this sometimes dabilitating disease is to quit, however it comes with some pretty hefty side affects. Little to no income, for one.
The thing is, I’ve come to realize that by choosing to go the traditional route in my novel publishing, there is a very long waiting period between getting discovered and getting published. In the meantime my disease grows within me, and my hunger to be a full time writer blinds my logic and strong-arms my common sense. I have come to realize that I am willing to risk the side affects of the cure.
At one of the conferences I attended last year, I met a freelance writer who writes for a food magazine and a travel magazine. She couldn’t speak more highly of the profession. And the best part? It allowed her to quit her day job. Now she spends her days – and most nights – writing. She puts way more hours into writing than she ever did at her day job, but it’s her hours, her time, and her schedule. It works for her, and I have no doubt that it would work for me.
Here are some blog posts I’ve come across that may be helpful if you are on the fence about whether or not to start freelancing.
Are any of you freelance writers? I’d love to know. If you are, do you have a blog with good advice for freelancers? Feel free to post it in your comment. Maybe we could share a blog post on the subject.
Thanks for stopping by. As always, I wish you great success with your life and with your writing.
Dee Ann

10 comments:

  1. I too suffer from this. I would lovw to be a freelance writer. Thanks for this post and hopefully the links you provided will be helpful to you and to me as well. Good luck on your book publishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie. I think you will find these links very helpful, and they will lead you to other helpful links, as well. Thanks for the well wishes on my book! :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your freelancing! I got a book deal this year, but it was nowhere as lucrative as you would expect - I earned twice as much in my old job! Most writers I know earn their main income some other way from their books, freelancing, journalism etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! Congrats on your book deal. The money will come. Just the fact that you got a deal is worth a million. My book is with a publisher under review and I should know something by the end of the month . I'm more anxious for them to accept it than I am for the money. lol Imagine that? :) Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting post, Dee, on the subject of freelance writing. I too would LOVE to go self employed as a freelance writer, as I HATE being on the dole and HATE it when employers reject your CV. I have started publishing ghost and paranormal Kindle books on Amazon, and since last summer, I am very pleased to say that my sales are steadily increasing. If I start to earn the equivalent of a minimum wage, then maybe I could go self employed as a freelance writer, as that would be my ultimate dream. Why not have a look at my Amazon Author Page at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horror-Stories-ebook/dp/B0096NS4VY/ref=sr_1_6?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1358438374&sr=1-6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan! I read your first story about the museum attendant. Creepy! Keep up the great work, and who knows... you could be working from home by year's end. That certainly is my hope, as well. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I too suffer from the Malady. I am taking a huge chance though, I am quitting my day job and am going to become a full-time dad and a part-time writer. I'll let you know how it goes.

    Good luck with freelance writing, it may just be the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ryan. I'm so envious of you! I wish I was in a position to quit, but I need my health insurance. Yes, do keep me informed how it works for you. And becoming a full time dad?! God bless you!! LOL Mine are grown and now I have grandkids (7 and 10). -- I'm looking forward to getting in deeper with the freelance stuff. I just have to figure out how to break in. :) I'll let you know, also. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. Great idea, Dee Ann. I have to tell you that I am in the same situation as you. I am 64 years old and just got my first book, "Tip of the Icberg" published. Check it out at http://tinyurl.com/bkkmknv. I also have a full time job as a machinist, which gets harder and harder to go to everyday. I want to retire, but for the reasons you mentioned, ie: income, insurance, etc, I can't quite make that leap of faith. And not to discourage you, but I finished my book in Nov. 2011 with a contract from my publisher, but it just got released on Jan 8, 2013. The traditional publishing root is a long one, especially for a new author. ButI am hopeful that now that it is in bookstores, the royalities will soon come. I have started a second book, uncertain of title as yet, and it is a sequel to the first. But with my day job, it's hard to dedicate time to write. So, maybe the freelance thing is a good idea. I may just check that out. Thanks for the links. And good luck with your book. Hang in there as I did and the release date will be a thrilling day. Check out my web site at http://tinyurl.com/bkkmknv and stay in touch on twitter @Dclozeau.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow DC, that,s awesome for you. I hope to be in bookstores someday, too. Let me know how the freelance research goes for you. Good luck with your second book. thanks for stopping by! Hope to chat soon. :)

      Delete