GETTING PUBLISHED FOR FICTION WRITERS

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Is a Copy Editor Necessary?

As many of you know, my first novel, The Consequential Element, will be released within the next three - four weeks. It is currently being reviewed by a hired copy editor. She's not a friend, associate, or anyone I ever knew before I started writing. She's a complete stranger. I hired her because I want a completely unbiased opinion of my work. If it sucks, I want her to tell me so. (Fortunately for me, she's up to chapter 23, and so far has not said it sucks! In fact, she's mentioned on several occasions how much she is enjoying the story. Whew!)

This leads me to want to share with you the importance of having a copy editor review your work. Finding a qualified copy editor, at an affordable price, can be tricky, but it is doable... and necessary. If you take even the slightest pride in your work, you will do this - for yourself, and for your readers.

Now, I was going to list all the reasons why a copy editor will become your best friend in the writing world, then I discovered this article by Nina Munteanu. She's said it perfectly. If you are contemplating whether or not to get a copy editor, please read this article before you decide.

As always, I wish you luck and good fortune in your writing. :)

Dee Ann
There was an error in this gadget