GETTING PUBLISHED FOR FICTION WRITERS

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Is a Copy Editor Necessary?

As many of you know, my first novel, The Consequential Element, will be released within the next three - four weeks. It is currently being reviewed by a hired copy editor. She's not a friend, associate, or anyone I ever knew before I started writing. She's a complete stranger. I hired her because I want a completely unbiased opinion of my work. If it sucks, I want her to tell me so. (Fortunately for me, she's up to chapter 23, and so far has not said it sucks! In fact, she's mentioned on several occasions how much she is enjoying the story. Whew!)

This leads me to want to share with you the importance of having a copy editor review your work. Finding a qualified copy editor, at an affordable price, can be tricky, but it is doable... and necessary. If you take even the slightest pride in your work, you will do this - for yourself, and for your readers.

Now, I was going to list all the reasons why a copy editor will become your best friend in the writing world, then I discovered this article by Nina Munteanu. She's said it perfectly. If you are contemplating whether or not to get a copy editor, please read this article before you decide.

As always, I wish you luck and good fortune in your writing. :)

Dee Ann

11 comments:

  1. Great advice, Dee Ann. Yes, do read my article on Scribophile. As both published novelist and professional editor and writing coach, I know of what I speak. If you're a member of Scribophile you'll also be interested in the 25+ comments the article generated. If you're not a member, you may wish to join. :) I also give more writing advice on my personal blog The Alien Next Door. Thanks, Dee Ann!

    Best Wishes,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. congratulations on your first novel, Dee Ann! I'm sure you are basking in the beauty of this wonderful accomplishment. The cover is splendid!

    Best Wishes,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Nina! Yes, I'm very excited about my novel. :D And I did the cover myself! I'm pleased with how it came out. I couldn't seem to get my idea across to the artists I spoke with, so I went on my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings!

    I'm hopping over from GUTGAA and visiting blogs along the way. Nice to meet you...you have a lovely blog! Good luck with GUTGAA!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donnalmartin.com
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna! Thanks for stopping by and for the very nice compliment on my blog. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Good luck to you, too!

      Delete
  5. If my cranky computer lets me post this - your point is vital, and it should be inscribed in Writing 101. But it begs the question - what is the job of a proofreader as opposed to a copy editor? A copy editor as opposed to a developmental editor? It sounds to me as if your editor is a developmental editor.

    Also, what do you, and your readers, think the obligation of an editor is to influence agents or publishers?

    Your book looks like a keeper, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, and thanks for your comment. I understand the differences to be:

    Proofreading is a final check on your work to ensure accuracy, correction of grammatical errors, and general presentation are within the specifications you have been given.

    Editing is much more than this as it combines proofreading together with revisions that should improve the flow and structure of your work to maximise the impact of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm right there with you on this subject, especially if you are SP. We need to show that as SP authors our books can be quality as well as any TPub. I talked about this in my blog also! Good luck with your book and may it be prosperous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lisa, thanks for the comment! I just checked out your blog - love it. Will have to visit often.

    Yes, quality is first and foremost the most significant thing that SP authors should be concerned with, IMO. It is your first image to the reading public. If it isn't a good first impression - you're doomed!

    Good luck on your book, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great advice--as I didn't really even know what a copy editor was. Very exciting about your book about to be published-congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri! I know what you mean. I've learned so much on this journey through my first novel. Copy editors are vital to your image as an author. Thanks so much for stopping by. Hope to see you around more often. :)

      Delete